Associate Portfolio Manager – Multi-Asset Public Markets
Published on 12/04/2022Guide Stone - Dallas, TX
We are an innovative organization that invests in the spiritual, relational, financial, physical and professional development of our employees. We have a culture that values excellence, teamwork, humility, integrity, compassion and stewardship.
What We Offer You!
We offer employees a generous benefits package, flexible work schedules, the opportunity to be involved in community outreach and tuition reimbursement.
GuideStone Funds, the nation’s largest faith-based mutual fund family with $18 billion in AUM, is seeking an individual for the role of Associate Portfolio Manager to join the Public Markets team at its Dallas, TX headquarters. Reporting to the Director of Public Investments / Senior Portfolio Manager, this dynamic position will be responsible for leading the asset allocation effort for the organization’s Target Date Funds, Target Risk Funds and standalone asset class multi-manager sub-advised funds, which serve as the building blocks for the aforementioned fund-of-funds products. Come join an experienced and passionate team with access to best-in-class investment software packages as you contribute to the success of the organization’s Fund suite.
The Associate Portfolio Manager leads the research and asset allocation activities for all Target Date Funds and Target Risk Funds as directed by the Director of Public Investments / Senior Portfolio Manager. In addition, the candidate will function in a multi-asset strategist role and will be responsible for collaborating with fellow Public Markets investment analysts in making allocation decisions within the $18 billion suite of multi-manager sub-advised GuideStone Funds. This individual will also be critical in formalizing a dynamic asset allocation framework that involves investment professionals across the Portfolio Management Team. An ability to effectively communicate investment ideas, coupled with a high degree of intellectual curiosity, will be hallmarks of the ideal candidate’s profile.
The Associate Portfolio Manager is expected to be very proficient in all research aspects related to areas of assignment. This individual must have a robust knowledge of asset allocation techniques and how various asset classes drive performance in multi-asset class portfolios. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess deep knowledge of the global public markets, and have a robust understanding of the multi-manager investment landscape, across both equity, debt and liquid alternative investment opportunities. The ideal candidate will also have a good working knowledge of, and experience with’ all aspects of investment manager, i.e. sub-advisor, due diligence. In aggregate, these qualities lay the groundwork for further career progression within the team, including, but not limited to, a Director of Research role
This position will also be expected to train/develop Investment Analysts on the team.
What you will do:
- Lead asset allocation research in the assigned areas of Target Date Funds and Target Risk Funds (fund-of-funds).
- Closely monitor and build out capabilities to surveil Morningstar peer universes; particularly important to the ongoing management of the Target Date Fund suite.
- Collaborate with Public Markets Analyst team on asset allocation decisions within multi-manager sub-advised Funds. These Funds (“Select Funds”) span multiple asset classes and are the building blocks utilized within the Target Date Funds and Target Risk Funds.
- Identify risk-mitigating investment opportunities and express these views utilizing custom completion portfolio strategies across all Fund-of-Funds and Select Funds as needed.
- Identify dislocations and investment opportunities across all public markets on a global basis. Articulate such opportunities to the team as they arise.
- Asset allocation areas of responsibilities include, but are not limited to, asset classes, sub-asset classes, factors, market cap leanings and geographies.
- Generate narrative to explain the main drivers of performance (suitable for both internal and external audiences) at both fund-of-funds and Select Funds levels, including attribution analysis, in concert with the Public Markets Analyst team.
- Opportunity to participate in institutional prospect and client meetings.
- Continuously monitor industry best practices, as well as practitioner and academic research landscape as it relates to asset allocation to better inform the investment process.
- Curate third party Capital Market Assumptions (CMAs) in addition to development of internal CMAs.
- Actively engage in robust discussion during the Portfolio Management Team’s weekly investment strategy and macroeconomic meeting, which includes both Public Markets and Private Markets investment professionals.
- Frequent interaction with members of the organization’s senior and executive leadership teams.
- Opportunity to participate in financial industry media interactions .
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager of Regulatory Risk in order to act as the liaison between this risk function and the candidate’s asset allocation objectives.
- Maintain advanced skills on all analytical tools and reporting applications to support the investment management and research process.
- Ensure that all research notes are properly documented in a standardized form and in a timely manner.
- Design and produce internal reporting of activities and results across fund-of-funds product lineup to aid in evaluating the effectiveness of asset allocation decisions.
- Work with the compliance officers to be knowledgeable and to understand issues regarding the adherence to the investment strategies and stated policies.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, required.
- Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), or other institutional-quality designations (such as CAIA, FRM, etc.), preferred.
- At least 10 years in the investment industry, with progressively more responsibility and accountability in investment decision-making.
- At least 7 years with direct external investment manager research experience.
- Proficiency with investment analytic and risk software packages such as Aladdin, Bloomberg, Morningstar Direct, Axioma, FactSet, eVestment and Zephyr with strong preference for experience in utilizing data automation/API tools.
- Capability with programming languages and databases, such as Python, R or SQL is a plus.
- Expert user of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint. Demonstrated ability to illustrate data visually using appropriate charts, graphs and tables. VBA experience a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to internal staff and interested external third parties.
- Tenacious self-starter that possesses a natural curiosity about markets and is continually seeking new sources of information to inform decision-making.
- Ability to conduct independent research and develop well thought-out conclusions/recommendations.
- Strong understanding of various investment vehicles, strategies, terminology and investment philosophies and processes.
- Must have complete confidentiality regarding GuideStone business matters.
About Guide Stone
GuideStone is a diversified Christian financial services provider, offering retirement, insurance, investment management, property and casualty coverage, and executive planning products and services to the Southern Baptist and wider evangelical Christian community. GuideStone sponsors the nation’s largest Christian-screened registered mutual fund family and is located in Dallas, Texas.
LocationDallas, TX 75244